Thread: INTERCHANGE LIST FOR The Hamilton 987S Mainsprings

Default INTERCHANGE LIST FOR The Hamilton 987S Mainsprings

Hi All,
    In resent years I have seen the price of Alloy Mainsprings go thru the roof. Here is the Interchangeable list for Alloy Mainsprings from Borel. Thought it might be of interest....Scott

WATCH MATERIAL INTERCHANGE LIST
    717203/HAM
    MAINSPRING
    27435 HAM

HAM 986 AMERICAN P/W OPEN FACE 17 JEWEL *
    HAM 987S AMERICAN P/W HUNTING CASE 17 JEWEL *
    MAINSPRINGS, WATCH WATCH MAINSPRING LIST

717201/HAM
    MAINSPRING
    27433/HAM

717200/HAM
    MAINSPRING
    27432/HAM
    HAM 987E AMERICAN P/W HUNTING CASE 17 JEWEL *

717270/HAM (discontinued)
    MAINSPRING STRENGTH 50
    44431/HAM
    HAM 730 17 JEWEL *
    HAM 736
    HAM 747 MECH MVMT 17 JEWEL *
    HAM 748 SS 18 JEWEL *
    HAM 752 17 JEWEL *
    HAM 753 19 JEWEL D/R OPEN FACE *
    HAM 754 19 JEWEL *

Do you know why? I remember ordering an alloy mainspring for a Waltham pocketwatch and being shocked by the asking price of $12-$15!

Default Yes......

My understanding is that the Swiss producers told the industry that they would not make US m/s anymore..This was within the last 2 years..Prices went form 10-12 $$ to 20-30 and I'm buying all I can.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mccoy View Post
    My understanding is that the Swiss producers told the industry that they would not make US m/s anymore.
    Wow...what a ridiculous, unprofessional practice. Hopefully some US firms will take this as an opportunity to produce their own mainsprings.

Default You may want to try Cas-Ker

At one time (say 18 months ago) a new m/s for say a Hamilton 10 size was pushing $40, but recently some places have found new suppliers. I just bought a bunch of new alloy m/s from Cas-Ker in Ohio for a reasonable price (there is also a discount if you purchase 3 or more).

I'm not connected with Cas-Ker at all BTW. I'm not sure if they carry all the sizes but some of the popular sizes are there for sure.

Cheers, Al

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M. View Post
    Wow...what a ridiculous, unprofessional practice. Hopefully some US firms will take this as an opportunity to produce their own mainsprings.
    Demand for these has probably dropped to a point where production cost for such small batches make it uneconomical to make them.

BTW, I doubt the economics would be any different for a US based spring manufacturer...

Scott: I can not send or reply to private messages because I've not been a member for 25 days (according to the admin). So I apologize for using this forum. I received the information regarding restoring my fathers Elgin A-11, thanks. I produced some pictures of the watch since it is in pretty rough shape. Just wanted to give you an opportunity to look at it first. The pictures are on http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamagodu. I am interested providing you think it is practical after looking at the pics. I still can receive private messages. Thanks, John.

Default Waltham mainsprings were made in France

I have thousands of mainsprings about a 50-50 split blue and alloy. The blue springs are steel and are subject to rusting and "Setting", which makes them lose their resilience. When the Whitealloy springs came out, all of these problems went away. They are essentially a lifetime spring. The only problem ever seen with alloy springs is that the automatic bridle may come off. Beyond that they are bulletproof.
    So we have a situation where 90% of the watches in use today are quartz which do not require a spring. The mechanical watches are in the hands of people who appreciate them and are willing to pay to own one. The mechanical springs in these watches are bulletproof, so it is highly unlikely that they will require another spring for a very long time. If you are a spring maker, most of your production will sit with no takers. It is almost a made to order situation with only a few springs moving at any given time. The result is when you want a spring, it will cost a lot of money as a replacement is not likely to be around: A Perfect Storm for watch spring makers.
    If you have an obscure or common watch movement that needs a spring, email me and if I have several, I'll be glad to give you one. I've done this before and it doesn't hurt since I will never use most of these springs. I have most everything in manual winds made before about 1970. I don't have a lot of automatics but have lots of common springs. In American watches I have many blue springs and a few whitealloys.