Thread: Richard Marcinko Watches...

Default Richard Marcinko Watches...

Hi folks:

I was flipping through the October issue of International Watch earlier in the week, and noticed it was dedicated to military watches. Most of the content would be fairly common knowledge around here. However, one article mention that Richard Marcinko (yep, that guy) had started a watch company. Apparently he's named it "Rogue Warrior Watches", and the company is producing a couple of different designs.

Anyway, thought you guys might find it of passing interest:
    http://www.roguewarriorwatches.com/

Best,
    TomS
    Last edited by toms; 11-06-2009 at 06:05. Reason: .

Default At a glance the dials are all way too busy (nt)

nt
    JacK

“Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous.” LT Rorke, Act of Valor

I wonder if the kryptolite dial's will stop superman in his tracks.

Almost too funny for words. At the same time though I'm kind of left thinking, "Wonder why he waited so long?"

Sunny, expensive San Diego County , California

Default Marcinko wrote at least one book where he related an' old salt had his"original issu

-ed type II diver watch". So he knows about some classics. I don't think I'd trust an author to design a simple dial, though. They by needs...have to have SOME excess immagination.

Pretty sure that Demo Dick is more than just an author
    Not really digging the watches though, it will be good reading once someone does a review.

I bought one of the straps, as I have a watch I think it work well on. I had an email thanking me for my business, and was told that they would throw in another strap in appreciation. I am curious to see what exactly will be provided, but a very pleasant experience so far.

Not sure why this is 'too funny for words', but then we're all entitled to our opinions.

I understand he's a real gear guy, and so am I, I bought my first custom knife based on a story of his, and it's been an excellent knife.

Some of the language on the website is laughable. It seems to me that Commander Marcinko is allowing a marketing company to hawk their watches with his name.

Default Watches bad--Man good

Just a couple of opinions: 1. I really don't care for the watches and agree 100% with Kevin. 2. On a personal note, while reading his book "The Rogue Warrior" I realized that I went to a Navy school with one of the characters in the book. I also think that CDR Marcinko is a "Man's Man" and if you or I would have done a fifth of what he has done (claimed he's done), we sure would have some good stories to tell our grand kids! Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A.kevin View Post
    Some of the language on the website is laughable. It seems to me that Commander Marcinko is allowing a marketing company to hawk their watches with his name.
    I really 'like' this bit.....

The anti-glare crystal is protected by two solid steel bars. Some operators hone these bars to a sharp point. One operator casually mentioned that "It's not just a watch it's a weapon".

The watches are not my style but go for it if you like 'em!

cheers,

-John

Default This is why it is 'too funny for words'...

From the website's F.A.Q. :

"ROGUE WARRIOR WATCH PHILOSOPHY.
    IF YOU THINK PUTTING LADIES UNDERWEAR ON THE HEAD OF A TERRORIST IS TORTURE, YOU DON'T REALLY NEED THIS WATCH.
    IF YOU THINK PLAYING LOUD ROCK MUSIC TO A TERRORIST IS TORTURE, YOU DEFINITELY DON'T NEED OUR WATCH.
    AND IF YOU THINK CLOSING GITMO IS A GREAT IDEA, THEN WE REALLY DON'T WANT TO SELL YOU A WATCH."

And why most of you will be rubbed wrong by the website :

"QUESTION: DO YOU HAVE ANY MODELS WITH SWISS AUTOMATIC MOVEMENTS?
    ANSWER: NO. THE OPERATORS WE DESIGN FOR NEED TO KNOW THAT THEIR WATCH IS SHOWING THE CORRECT TIME. AUTOMATIC MOVEMENTS, EVEN THE EXPENSIVE ONES, ARE KNOWN TO REQUIRE CONSTANT ADJUSTMENT AND CAN LOSE SEVERAL SECONDS A DAY. QUARTZ MOVEMENTS ARE ACCURATE TO (+ OR -) 15 SECONDS A MONTH. MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THEY ARE ACCURATE TO 3 SECONDS (+ OR - ) RANGE A MONTH. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SEE THRU BACK, OR RUBIES, OR SPINNING WHEELS, THESE ARE NOT FOR YOU."

Here is my question though - if you unscrew the crown to set the time, won't all the krypton gas escape? Sounds like a gimmick. And when was the last time we had troops fighting in "S.E. Asia"? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by 6122s View Post
    I bought one of the straps, as I have a watch I think it work well on. I had an email thanking me for my business, and was told that they would throw in another strap in appreciation. I am curious to see what exactly will be provided, but a very pleasant experience so far.

Not sure why this is 'too funny for words', but then we're all entitled to our opinions.

I understand he's a real gear guy, and so am I, I bought my first custom knife based on a story of his, and it's been an excellent knife.

Default Yawn...

Yes, Marcinko was the real deal, but he has since become a marketing machine. Many others have served with equal dedication but have not chosen to turn their service into a commercial media circus. I doubt too many operators wear his watches.