Thread: Moisture disk paper ?

Default Moisture disk paper ?

Hi all,

anyone have a source for the paper use to make the moisture indicators on vintage Blancpains ? TIA.

Best Regards,

Billy

Default Billy, I would ask Bill Yao...

...I know he has experimented with them. But his feeling was that they were fairly worthless, and pretty much only gave you an idea of how humid a day it was. LOL.

-John S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Hi all,

anyone have a source for the paper use to make the moisture indicators on vintage Blancpains ? TIA.

Best Regards,

Billy

Default If I find the box of litmus paper that I had

I will send you some. Can't remember if I kept it or tossed it.

Thanks Bill - i really appreciate that ! I hope to chat with you next week ~ enjoy your weekend.

All the very best from your amigo in N.M.

Billy

Default It's not litmus paper...

"The moisture sensitive chemical and reference ink shall be applied to a 25-percent rag, 32-weight uncoated, white bond paper stock."

You can buy something similar at Staples, sold as resume paper. You also need a 7/32 (a bit less than 6mm) round punch, pink ink (felt tip marker), and liquid cobalt chloride (check ebay). Cut it in half, it's easier.

There are shortcuts of course. 6mm round stickers.

Cam

Default Didn't realize there was a difference....

I tested the idea using cobalt chloride impregnated paper. I am pretty sure I tossed the paper I had. But I found the catalog where I bought the stuff:

Humidity paper

Quote Originally Posted by camfam View Post
    "The moisture sensitive chemical and reference ink shall be applied to a 25-percent rag, 32-weight uncoated, white bond paper stock."

You can buy something similar at Staples, sold as resume paper. You also need a 7/32 (a bit less than 6mm) round punch, pink ink (felt tip marker), and liquid cobalt chloride (check ebay). Cut it in half, it's easier.

Cam

Cam

Kids' chemistry sets may also have cobalt chloride in crystal form. Dissolve in water and soak your chad of resume paper. I recall making humidity indicator strips in this way when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I tested the idea using cobalt chloride impregnated paper. I am pretty sure I tossed the paper I had. But I found the catalog where I bought the stuff:

Humidity paper
    That looks like a good option. Liquid Cobalt Chloride is silly expensive and way more than you would need for such a project. Litmus paper is different. It measures PH, not humidity. The paper called for in the Mil-W-22716A spec is fairly heavy-weight, also.

I agree with you, Bill, that this is unnecessary and anachronistic in a modern watch. As for restoration purposes, it is cosmetic only.

Cam

Default I wish it worked though...

That looks like a good option. Liquid Cobalt Chloride is silly expensive and way more than you would need for such a project. Litmus paper is different. It measures PH, not humidity. The paper called for in the Mil-W-22716A spec is fairly heavy-weight, also.

I agree with you, Bill, that this is unnecessary and anachronistic in a modern watch. As for restoration purposes, it is cosmetic only.

Cam
    it would have been a nice option.

Where I work we toss a test card with a humidity indicator in each component can before sealing it up. If you leave the cards out on the bench not sealed up, about thirty minutes later they have all turned pink. Faster if it's a rainy day.

Any chance you'd care to send a few to N.M. ? If you tuck them in a plastic bag (or similiar) would they keep ?

Best Regards,

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Any chance you'd care to send a few to N.M. ? If you tuck them in a plastic bag (or similiar) would they keep ?

Best Regards,

Billy
    Sure, but these are on card stock, a little bit thicker than an index card.

PM your address if you still want them.

I'm not surprised at there being a difference, many seemingly mundane items and materials are controlled by rigid standards for people who use them in testing situations, etc. I've purchased and used calibrated and certified water and tape before, paper would not surprise me either.
    John