Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Moisture disk paper ?

  1. #1
    Ninja co-Moderator Billy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Moisture disk paper ?

    Hi all,

    anyone have a source for the paper use to make the moisture indicators on vintage Blancpains ? TIA.

    Best Regards,

    Billy

  2. #2

    Default Billy, I would ask Bill Yao...

    ...I know he has experimented with them. But his feeling was that they were fairly worthless, and pretty much only gave you an idea of how humid a day it was. LOL.

    -John S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Hi all,

    anyone have a source for the paper use to make the moisture indicators on vintage Blancpains ? TIA.

    Best Regards,

    Billy

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania (USA)
    Posts
    226

    Default If I find the box of litmus paper that I had

    I will send you some. Can't remember if I kept it or tossed it.

  4. #4
    Ninja co-Moderator Billy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    Thanks Bill - i really appreciate that ! I hope to chat with you next week ~ enjoy your weekend.

    All the very best from your amigo in N.M.

    Billy

  5. #5

    Default It's not litmus paper...

    "The moisture sensitive chemical and reference ink shall be applied to a 25-percent rag, 32-weight uncoated, white bond paper stock."

    You can buy something similar at Staples, sold as resume paper. You also need a 7/32 (a bit less than 6mm) round punch, pink ink (felt tip marker), and liquid cobalt chloride (check ebay). Cut it in half, it's easier.

    There are shortcuts of course. 6mm round stickers.

    Cam


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania (USA)
    Posts
    226

    Default Didn't realize there was a difference....

    I tested the idea using cobalt chloride impregnated paper. I am pretty sure I tossed the paper I had. But I found the catalog where I bought the stuff:

    Humidity paper

    Quote Originally Posted by camfam View Post
    "The moisture sensitive chemical and reference ink shall be applied to a 25-percent rag, 32-weight uncoated, white bond paper stock."

    You can buy something similar at Staples, sold as resume paper. You also need a 7/32 (a bit less than 6mm) round punch, pink ink (felt tip marker), and liquid cobalt chloride (check ebay). Cut it in half, it's easier.

    There are shortcuts of course. 6mm round stickers.

    Cam


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camfam View Post
    "The moisture sensitive chemical and reference ink shall be applied to a 25-percent rag, 32-weight uncoated, white bond paper stock."

    You can buy something similar at Staples, sold as resume paper. You also need a 7/32 (a bit less than 6mm) round punch, pink ink (felt tip marker), and liquid cobalt chloride (check ebay). Cut it in half, it's easier.

    There are shortcuts of course. 6mm round stickers.

    Cam

    Kids' chemistry sets may also have cobalt chloride in crystal form. Dissolve in water and soak your chad of resume paper. I recall making humidity indicator strips in this way when I was a kid.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I tested the idea using cobalt chloride impregnated paper. I am pretty sure I tossed the paper I had. But I found the catalog where I bought the stuff:

    Humidity paper
    That looks like a good option. Liquid Cobalt Chloride is silly expensive and way more than you would need for such a project. Litmus paper is different. It measures PH, not humidity. The paper called for in the Mil-W-22716A spec is fairly heavy-weight, also.

    I agree with you, Bill, that this is unnecessary and anachronistic in a modern watch. As for restoration purposes, it is cosmetic only.

    Cam

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania (USA)
    Posts
    226

    Default I wish it worked though...

    Quote Originally Posted by camfam View Post
    That looks like a good option. Liquid Cobalt Chloride is silly expensive and way more than you would need for such a project. Litmus paper is different. It measures PH, not humidity. The paper called for in the Mil-W-22716A spec is fairly heavy-weight, also.

    I agree with you, Bill, that this is unnecessary and anachronistic in a modern watch. As for restoration purposes, it is cosmetic only.

    Cam
    it would have been a nice option.

  10. #10
    Senior Member lysander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Where I work we toss a test card with a humidity indicator in each component can before sealing it up. If you leave the cards out on the bench not sealed up, about thirty minutes later they have all turned pink. Faster if it's a rainy day.


  11. #11
    Ninja co-Moderator Billy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    Any chance you'd care to send a few to N.M. ? If you tuck them in a plastic bag (or similiar) would they keep ?

    Best Regards,

    Billy

  12. #12
    Senior Member lysander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Any chance you'd care to send a few to N.M. ? If you tuck them in a plastic bag (or similiar) would they keep ?

    Best Regards,

    Billy
    Sure, but these are on card stock, a little bit thicker than an index card.

    PM your address if you still want them.

  13. #13

    Default

    I'm not surprised at there being a difference, many seemingly mundane items and materials are controlled by rigid standards for people who use them in testing situations, etc. I've purchased and used calibrated and certified water and tape before, paper would not surprise me either.
    John

Similar Threads

  1. Questions: Moisture Disc on BP's
    By enyong112 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 19:45
  2. Help on VPI Paper for Omega RAF53
    By Peter.watchacc in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 08:14
  3. Scissors beat paper - every time!
    By simonk in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 07:38
  4. Moisture under crystal
    By oakalley in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 21:09
  5. Job slots in the local paper
    By James K in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 08:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •