Thread: Help ID'ing a vintage MARATHON

Default Help ID'ing a vintage MARATHON

Hi everyone,

I was looking at a vintage Marathon watch on EBay and was trying to get more information on it (i.e. caliber number, pictures of the movement, etc). I have tried many times on Google and some military watch forums, but no luck on finding a similar watch to the one attached.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

Does anyone know the approximate year/model number/approximate value of such a watch? Is the gold plated or solid? Any other information you may have would be very helpful, especially regarding value.

Thanks!!

SNB

It looks to be a 10 K rolled gold case (at least it looks like that style TK case taht is rather common). Other than that, all I can say is: it's not a military watch.

It DID seem a bit strange to have a gold case for a military watch!

Does anyone know any other pertinent features of this watch? I have yet to find another example on the Internet. Any info is much appreciated!!

SNB

It would be interesting to see a history of Marathon, which I never have.

But it appears that they go back at least to the 60s, and were at one time a general importer of timepieces for the Canadian market.

I've seen several "Marathon" pocketwatches on Der Bay which in fact appeared to be older Molnijas. I believe County dot Com in LA recently also had some older Marathon badged windup alarm clocks.

Note my weasel words. I don't know. But the appearances of that history seem strong to me.

its certainly not military, and the seller is using his google search of marathon and its current watches to associate 'military'. marathon still makes wind up alarm clocks among other things. http://www.marathonwatch.com/site/ca...p?pid=cl070005
    'Đời cha ăn mặn, đời con khát nước.'