Thread: How should a letter of provenance read.....???

Default How should a letter of provenance read.....???

Does anyone on MWR have a correct write-up for a proper LOP?? I have some letters that I am having done up through some pretty official sources, the thing is I have never seen a properly formated LOP. Is there a standard for such things?? I looked on-line and came up blank. If anyone here has any ideas of how one of these should be worded or has an example.......Please let me know.

Also, if there are no formal layouts for these......What would you all consider to be the best way to word one of these LOPs. Yes, they will be for a few Mil-Watches !!

Thanks for any help,
    SMITTY
    History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the STUPID or WEAK!!!
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Default If I recall correctly, the few I have seen followed a format

Which states to whom the LOP is addressed (Presumably, this would be to the current owner or whoever paid for the LOP). The letter should then describe the qualifications/relation of who ever is writing the letter. This is followed by a detailed description of the item referenced, including all serial #/identification marks (where relevant).

Finally, the provenance is detailed with as many references as available to back the claims. Photocopies/notarized copies/affidavits referred to in the body of the text of these should also be included with the letter.

Letter should be signed by individual and/or legal representative of entity providing the letter.

These is just from memory of a few I have seen in the past. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Does anyone on MWR have a correct write-up for a proper LOP?? I have some letters that I am having done up through some pretty official sources, the thing is I have never seen a properly formated LOP. Is there a standard for such things?? I looked on-line and came up blank. If anyone here has any ideas of how one of these should be worded or has an example.......Please let me know.

Also, if there are no formal layouts for these......What would you all consider to be the best way to word one of these LOPs. Yes, they will be for a few Mil-Watches !!

Thanks for any help,
    SMITTY

Default Thanks Joe....

I was thinking on the same lines, just wondering what you all have seen in the past.

Thanks again,
    Smitty
    History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the STUPID or WEAK!!!
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Default Tudor MN letter (more)

The paperwork that came with my old MN Tudor Sub was more tick box and fill in the blank style, but it had the same info as Joe outlined. I may have something back in my office that could work, with more prose than a simple card, that was designed for transferring registered antiquities across international borders. PM me if you still need it.
    - - -