Thread: Tell -Swiss watch brand

Default Tell -Swiss watch brand

Hello,
    Not a military watch but just wanting to post this here on the off-chance that someone here has come across a Swiss brand called Tell (presumably playing on the William Tell story)

I was offered a nice one today. Classic 70s blue face, 9 faceted flat crystal with oyster over date display. With squared off round chrome case and expandable bracelet, 23 jewels, manual winder.In size and shape and bracelet it is almost identical to my 1969 Certina Argonaut 280.

I know absolutely zero about this make other than I've now seen one watch and I love the 70s feel of it.

It's a solid watch, good luck and good feel

Help please if you can!

TIA

James

Default Im sorry, cant Tell ;)

nt

regs,
    salmonia

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Ormonde View Post
    Not a military watch but just wanting to post this here on the off-chance that someone here has come across a Swiss brand called Tell (presumably playing on the William Tell story)
    If you can't find any info on a watch company, chances are high that it simply fits under the broad category of 'generic Swiss' brand. The movement is likely AS, ETA or FHF.

If you like the looks, go for it. Thanks to engineering and the building of machines that could produce watch parts within tolerances of precision never seen before on such a mass scale, by the 1960s/70s practically all Swiss watches were well engineered and had well built cases and movements to withstand everyday wear. If you like the looks, it would probably be hard to go wrong with this watch IMHO. You should post some pics when you get the chance.
    Ciao tutti!

Default Thank you Don...

for your reasurance on reliability, with what I also suspect, as you say, is simply a generic watch. And in this case looking and feeling a bit like a Rolex
    In the first post I meant good look of course.

BTW could you tell me where I could find out some more info about the movements you mentioned? And possibly what all those letters stand for.

This is a new fascinating field for me so all help gratefully received.

Thanks

James

BTW could you tell me where I could find out some more info about the movements you mentioned? And possibly what all those letters stand for.

This is a new fascinating field for me so all help gratefully received.

Thanks

James
    Hi James,

Ideally, you'd buy yourself a Bestfit Guide to watch movements. I still haven't done that but have relied on my watchmaker's copy. You can buy the Bestfit either new from Ofrei or used on Ebay.

In the mean time, there exists a really great online resource which is kept up by Mr. Ranfft and it's a database that's probably the next best thing to a Bestfit guie:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&ranfft&&2uswk

AS stands for 'Adolphe Schild' and this company produced many many movements over the span of several decades. You can often find these movements in a host of 20th century watches.

FHF stands for Fabrique d'horlogerie de Fontainemelon and this company, like AS, produced a whole lot of movements.

These two companies were eventually integrated into ETA (I don't know what ETA stands for but since it was the movement division of the Eterna watch company in its early years, ETA may just be a contraction of 'Eterna').

So, if you have a Swiss made mechanical watch from the 1960s/70s from a generic maker and you're not sure what the movement is - more likely than not said movement will be from the ETA, FHF or AS houses.
    Ciao tutti!

Default Try and find copies of Swiss Watch Journal

I have one from 1959 and it has all of the companies listed and their copyrighted names. I find no Tell in that bunch so it may be a private label from a jewelry store chain. Manufacturer's code on the movement sometimes helps. I've seen Tell watches before.
    DHH

Thanks again Don. And thanks Dave, I'll definitely look into that. I looked at the movement with a lupp and all it has is AF RS by the regulator (and I still don't know what the AF and RS stand for) and elsewhere "Swiss made 17 jewels" no other markings at all.

Thanks again Don. And thanks Dave, I'll definitely look into that. I looked at the movement with a lupp and all it has is AF RS by the regulator (and I still don't know what the AF and RS stand for) and elsewhere "Swiss made 17 jewels" no other markings at all.
    AF is English and French - Avance/Fast.
    RS , by the same token, means - Retard/Slow.

This is in order to know in which direction one should swivel the regulator.

If a movement isn't clearly signed on one of the bridge plates, it will have a 'crest' stamped just below the balance wheel on the pillar plate. It could also be that it is not signed in any way - then you have to consult your Bestfit. Posting a pic of the movement might yield better results as would a watchmaker, many of whom are quite familiar with many calibres and, failing that, will usually have a Bestfit guide of their own.
    Ciao tutti!

Thanks Don, I knew it would be something like that but hadn't figured on it being bilingual that's why I was stumped.

What's the rough cost of a Bestfit guide new? Do you know?

James

Thanks Don, I knew it would be something like that but hadn't figured on it being bilingual that's why I was stumped.

What's the rough cost of a Bestfit guide new? Do you know?

James
    The info's right here:

http://www.ofrei.com/page930.html
    Ciao tutti!

Thank you Don, you're a gent!