Thread: Seiko 6309 Vs. ETA 2824

Default Seiko 6309 Vs. ETA 2824

This is just for fun and sharing info. Seiko 6309 movement Vs. the ETA 2824 moment. Which is the best for a military watch? Of the two which one will have a longer service life? One can still find Seiko 6309 150m divers still working well after 30 years of use and neglect. However the same is true for some diver or mil watches powered by the ETA 2824 series of movements. I understand the type of case has much to do with the service life. So what are the merits of the two types. Which movement do folks on the MWR like best? Let me know. Thanks.
    "gunner sabot tank..."

the avantage to 2824 is movement still in production with many clone around

Default 6309

i have never owned an eta 2824 but my 28 year old 6309 has been serviced a couple of weeks ago just for safety reasons... i was told that the movement is still looking brand new... i do not miss handwinding or hacking feature but i am impressed by simplicity and reliability. Though it runs a little fast (10-15 sec/day) to be honest, but i do not mind...

...just my 2 ct...

Military specification watches, for the most part, require hacking (and for the US handwinding) movements. This pretty much rules out the non-hacking, non-handwinding Seiko 6309.

As to the longevity of the ETA 2824 series, I have a Benrus Type 2 with an KG1D21 (ETA 2821-1, which is a 2824 without the date function) that is 29 years old and is in essentially mint condition. Both are excellent movements.

Default Great post! Both are definitely great movements (more)

and I suspect many of us will be outlived by our 6309s despite the fact that parts are harder to find. I'm proud to have owned my 6309-7049 since December 1985 and after its most recent service timekeeping is within a few seconds fast per day, on par with most of my Swiss-made watches. Although it doesn't have a hack feature, it is possible to set the time precisely by "back-hacking" or turning the crown counterclockwise. Of course, Seiko addressed this issue with the 6306 diver, but talk about rare . . .

Default Seiko all the way!

I think you are right about the 6309. However many of the best mil watches of the last three decades have been and are powered by ETA movements. With Seiko they only keep a moment in production for about ten years. This us understandably problematic. However the Seiko concept of large( essey to make) robust well made movements in big well made case is a data point the shows the way to long life for a diver or a mil watch. Understand that Dynamo made a good point as well.
    "gunner sabot tank..."

Default You are comparing a VW to a Chevy

In pure dollars and cents, a Seiko movement is probably made for under $40 and a bare new 2824 is worth about $95+-. Both are superb and capable of good timekeeping. Having been deep inside both many times, I marvel at the design and simplicity of the Seiko and the quality and features of the ETA. All things being equal, given the watch is clean, properly lubed with correct oils, they would both last as long as one cares to keep them. Seiko will always have the edge because their products are well cased. I would give the overall longevity nod to the Seiko; less parts, less to wear out. The mainspring barrel click on a Seiko is a single strip of spring steel, the ETA has three parts. I've never argued with an automatic design that is so efficient that it dispenses with the winding feature.

An ETA 2824-2 can be produced for about US$ 40 to 45, about the same as a Seiko 7S36. Just because ETA wants to sell it for nearly 100 bucks doesn't mean they cost that much to make.

And, in theory, any automatic can dispense with the hand winding feature, the Eterna double reverser system is just as efficient as the Seiko "magic fingers."

Default I had no idea that they were that inexpensive

I somewhat disagree about the dispensing with the hand winding. I believe that the Seiko Magic Fingers were a theft from the IWC design, anyway, all movement, every mm of movement either way produces power and no matter what, the other systems have some slop. You may be able to put the Eterna on the wrist after a shake or two, but it will stop if you are no too active, that Seiko will just keep running with even modest activity. Thanks Lysander.
    DHH

Default 7s26B or NH26

Both made by seiko 100% same but the markings ...
    I would say the 6309 is more on line with the ETA 2789-1
    and the 7s26B with the 2824

the 2789 is darn good and so the 6309

but I'm sure in 20yrs more 7s26's will be ticking ...

Default My 6309

I have a 25 year old 6309 7290.
    It hasn't been cleaned in at least 10 years.
    It advances 1 to 2 seconds in 12 days.
    I've never seen such accuracy in any manual watch.
    The ETA in my Marathon, gains seconds a day.