Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So this is the smartest woman in the country?

Default So this is the smartest woman in the country?

Why would the woman who the dems tell us is the smartest woman in country ask Obama to apologize for the remarks David Geffen made? The you have dems agreeing with her like Richardson from N.M.

How far beyond logic and common sense does PC go with them? These people scare the shit out of me. There is no end to their lame backasswards ideas.

"Everybody in politics lies, but they do it with such ease it's troubling," Geffen said

Default The gloves are coming off. Republican running against one another...

for the presidential nomination are not famously kinder. Ask McCain. (Or don't, as at this point he'd just claim it never happened.)

You know, not all dems and dem-leaning people like HC.

But I really don't see anyone else at least right now getting the nod. I think it's hers to lose in the dem party. I don't think she is electable though. If your not a Hillary supporter then who? Obama is the new media darling but he doesn't have a prayer. Edwards had more experience then him and he didn't have a prayer last go around. Even if you don't like her she is your man so to speak.

Newt Gingrich is probably about as much as much as a polarizing figure as Hillary and if he got the nod I know full well he couldn't be elected. She has a much better chance then Newt though of getting her parties nod which is good for us. I just don't see how Rudy is going to lose this overall. McCain could beat her I believe but thanks goodness he won't get our nod.

The point of my thread this was how do you ask in a public forum for someone to apologize for someone else's remarks and on top of that ask them to return Geffen's donation? The Clinton's took plenty from Hollywood. Now they are upset that fickle Hollywood has tired of them. If they were smart they could use that to their advantage but they are the Clintons.

I disagree that Obama doesn't have a prayer. He's not just a media darling, he's got a fresh perspective. He's honest. We'll see if he can stay above the fray.

Rudy may have gained a lot of experience governing NYC, but he really has less foreign policy experience than Obama. Not that it's necessarily a deal-killer. I really have a hard time believing anyone can be mayor of a city like NY or Chicago, and not have some huge skeletons in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I disagree that Obama doesn't have a prayer. He's not just a media darling, he's got a fresh perspective. He's honest. We'll see if he can stay above the fray.

Rudy may have gained a lot of experience governing NYC, but he really has less foreign policy experience than Obama. Not that it's necessarily a deal-killer. I really have a hard time believing anyone can be mayor of a city like NY or Chicago, and not have some huge skeletons in the closet.
    As a former NY'er who lived in the City during Rudy's reign I am not a fan of his, but as Mayor of NYC he has had plenty of opportunity to meet and interact with heads-of-state. As far as what's in his closet (it is a very big closet), I'm waiting to see how the voters in republican primaries deal with an advocate of gay rights, adulterer, marriage annulled from your cousin, pro gun-control, pro-choice, cross-dressing (this list could go on) presidential candidate. Another "plus" for Rudy is that he has many of the same character traits as the current president.

Is this man electable...

Default David Geffen, is not a real popular figure in my opinion here...

with all his money, he's been fighting the California Coastal Commission for the last 24 years for beach access near his property in Malibu.
    He's a real hypocrite in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by RICKO View Post
    as Mayor of NYC he has had plenty of opportunity to meet and interact with heads-of-state
    That doesn't necessarily make for real foreign policy experience; though, point taken.

Default Don't underestimate the female vote.

My wife and all of her friends, many of them Republicans, are ready to vote for HC (whom I refer to as the Neocon Anti-Christ) simply because she is a woman. Don't underestimate that factor. My wife has been apolitical until HC announced her intentions.

In my fantasy world, I'd like to see the Republicans feel forced to run Dr. Rice. Let the good ol' boys make a decision. In order to stop the "Anti-Christ," they would have to not only vote for a woman, but a Black woman.

Realistically, if we are to continue in a state of war, I personally want a combat veteran in the President's seat. Someone who knows what is like to be shot at. Someone who knows what it is like to have a buddy die in your arms. I'm tired of all the Peaceniks of the 60s and 70s being the hawks of this century now that there is no draft, and now that they are too old to go. I'm tired of the young hawks who talk tough, but don't walk the walk by signing up. I'm tired of the "vets" who served in peacetime as clerks talking tough. Re-up! Who do I want in the chair? Maybe Chuck Hagel. McCain has flip-flopped too much for me.

STOP READING HERE IF YOU HAVE NO INTEREST IN A CONTINUING RANT!

I'm tired of the corporate raiders in charge who never served and are talking tough. Regardless of what the National Guard and Reserves are doing now, God bless them, back in the 60s and 70s, the Reserve and the Guard were the rich boys way of draft dodging. Conveniently missing the physical that would have sent you to Nam, even at the tail end, is at the very least, "combat-dodging" in my book.

At least the Peaceniks are the Peaceniks and not pretenders.

The current rebuttal is, "Well what is your solution if you're critical of the President's plan? Stop fighting to break even. I got tired of that approach in the 60s and 70s; I'm tired of it now. Short of "glassing" the Middle East, as we should have done to North Viet Nam ( Curtis LeMay wasn't all wrong), let's go back to conventional Shock and Awe. Screw the sovereignty of Pakistan! If that is where OBL is, level the place.

If the Saudis are funding the Sunni insurgency, they are our enemies. Screw Bushco's interests there. Screw the Carlyle Group.

I will go back to my original sentiment. If it is not about the oil, then why should a single American boy or girl die when we can melt them from the sky?
    Let us elect a President who understands that. I have too many former students, fine young men and women, in the shithole called the Middle East.

Rant with multiple contradictions over. So much for responding during Sake Happy Hour. I'll go back to my corner. Biggles, please come and lead me away.

My apologies to all, I rarely go off like this, but I've had a trying week.
    Illegitimis non carborundum

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time. T. S. Eliot

I understand you think he is a breathe of fresh air but most of us realize he doesn't have the experience running anything. he has only been in the senate 2 years. The guy is likable I will give you that but I stand by my statement and no matter how "clean" he is he will just be Hillary's running mate. He simply doesn't have the experience to get elected president.

If you actually examine his voting record which I am sure you probably like, the fact of the matter is he is simply to far to the left to even stand a chance. It's a non starter. he is to the left of Hillary.

Rudy got divorced he fucked around so what? The man has proved himself a great leader. He didn't lie to a grand jury about it. He probably has better legs then Hillary too. I am pro gun and I listened to his thoughts and I didn't have any problem with it. He is NOT anti-gun. The only issue I don't agree with him on is gay marriage. Not really going to effect me so it's not anything close to a deal breaker. He has a lot of courage to break with party lines as he is pro choice as well. It's either him or McCain for us and to me if Hillary got the nod and McCain it really is about the same. I would probably just stay home.

Default It's funny how non-New Yorkers have a much higher opinion of Rudy

than do many New Yorkers.

Screwing around is a hell of a lot different than trying to move your girlfriend into tha same house that your wife and children are living in. You may hate your wife, but you don't do that to your children.

He proved himself to be a great leader. How? He did what he had to do. He did it under extremely bad conditions because he had no command center. Against all counsel, his ego insisted on having it at the World Trade Center, despite that it had been a target in the past, and was considered a prime target at the time.

I live and work out on Long Island where many of my friends, neighbors, and fellow coaches were and are NYC Police and Firefighters. Many of us lost friends, family of friends, colleagues, and neighbors on that day of infamy. Few of these people had much use for Rudy at the end of his tenure as Mayor. Fewer yet had any use for his political grandstanding and photo ops during that time of tragedy.

The last thing anybody should do is believe his revisionist website, or his promotion by a partisan crowd in Washington. Imagine how different it would be had he been a Democratic Mayor.
    Illegitimis non carborundum

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time. T. S. Eliot

Red face Well said Mr Boots!!

I certainly would hate to see Obama in the big chair! As far as I'm concerned he is the terrorists friend. Anyone stupid enough to say "All troops gone by XYZ date" shows his naivety about how the many insurgents are prepared to wait until they recommence a final surge and he disgraces the sacrifice of not only American soldiers, airmen and sailors, but all of the Coalition servicemen and women as well as the ordinary Iraqi who just wants to live a better life without the fear of being blown up of murdered.

I really don;t understand why some people feel the need to be embarrassed by their country or who they are. To me that reeks of guilt for being fortunate enough to live in a First World country and guilt is something that is regularly manipulated by others for their own agenda.

Anyway, enough ranting by me.
    You Only Live Twice
    Never Quit!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boots View Post
    than do many New Yorkers.
    He proved himself to be a great leader. How? He did what he had to do. He did it under extremely bad conditions because he had no command center. Against all counsel, his ego insisted on having it at the World Trade Center, despite that it had been a target in the past, and was considered a prime target at the time.
    He put the command center on the 23rd and 24th floors of 7 WTC because the space was originally designed as Drexel's trading floor, but was vacant and Rudy did a favor for his buddy, the landlord, Larry Silverstein. Let's not forget that the police had not one, but two perfectly serviceable command centers when rudy decided to build this one, which was for his newly formed department of emergency management. And why did he do it you may ask; because he could (and he was/is a control freak).

rudy for President

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I understand you think he is a breathe of fresh air but most of us realize he doesn't have the experience running anything. he has only been in the senate 2 years. The guy is likable I will give you that but I stand by my statement and no matter how "clean" he is he will just be Hillary's running mate. He simply doesn't have the experience to get elected president.

If you actually examine his voting record which I am sure you probably like, the fact of the matter is he is simply to far to the left to even stand a chance. It's a non starter. he is to the left of Hillary.
    It doesn't take experience. Doing the job takes leadership, and Obama has, thus far, demonstrated a heckuva lot more leadership than others who have been in his job even ten times longer. Getting the job is a whole different matter, and I think Barack has the *it* factor needed to get votes. You know what I'm talking about.

I don't believe he would ever be a second-chair running mate for Hillary or anyone else. He knows being a running mate and losing is far worse than not getting the presidential nomination.

As for being to the left of Hillary, that may be, but he's got a couple of things on his side. First, he is not afraid to discuss his faith standing at the podium. In fact, he almost seems most comfortable talking about his faith. Contrast that with Kerry. Second, I think Barack really believes he needs to compromise and reach across the aisle in order to get things done. Because that's exactly what needs to happen. Not just pay lip service to it.

Default Rudy

I'm very anti-Rudy, for several reasons. He had an open affair and then announced his divorce via the newspapers prior to Donna getting final notice from her own lawyers. He was a strong supporter of Bernard Kerik, now convicted felon, former police commissioner of NYC who had an apartment high above Ground Zero that was supposed to be used for cops to retreat to yet he used it to meet and pork his girlfriend. Kerik, a 3rd grade detective, is hated among NYPD for being Rudy's driver - yes, driver - and then promoted to Commissioner jumping over many ranking and worthy people.

I don't trust Rudy and never will.
    Aware since August, 2000

Default For the record, I'm no fan of Hillary. Her stubborn refusal to admit her mistake...

in supporting the invasion of Iraq sucks in the worst possible way. Not that I was any kind of enthusiast before. I think it's a very bad idea for the United States to have any more presidential dynasties. One's been more than enough, thank you.

KC Order of the Shrivelled Limpet with Drooping Acorns Mark B.'s Avatar

Actually, John Adams/John Quincy Adams wasn't so bad.
    Last edited by Mark B.; 02-22-2007 at 20:39. Reason: fixed typo

The Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina

Mark, you can remember #2 and #6? How old are you anyway?

Default A fair question for you New Yawkers whom dislike Rudy

On moral grounds.

1. Do any of you guys happen to be Republican?

2. Were you just as outraged at Clinton's antics then lying to a grand jury?

I am just trying to get some perspective where you are coming from. Granted not living in NY we heard bits and pieces of his affair. All I know to this day was he was cheating on his wife and she found out about it or he told her in some public way. When you get into those areas you don't know what went on at home.

My ex's latest rant is that I stole money from her. She agreed to settle as you all remember but is not happy. The reality is she got what she deserved and agreed to but being a greedy bitch wanted more then that and didn't get it so in her mind I stole what she thought she was entitled to. If people didn't know me or what really happened and just listening to her I am some kind of loser gigolo who steals money from woman and doesn't work. Kind of funny how she walked away with several times more then what she came in with and a piece of 3 buildings. On top of that I pay for private school,insurance and child support to her but yet she still makes those claims.

My point is I don't have any idea what drove Rudy to another woman and he probably could have handled it better but something in that house wasn't right yet we only hear that it was all his fault. I have a very liberal PI atty friend that lives in Great Neck and down here. He hated Rudy for cleaning up the pron in the city. I am not joking. I have to see where a person is coming from in order to understand their perspective.

Default As a dyed in the wool Conservative>>>

A. Who cares if they are fighting with each other...more ammo for 11-2008 AFAIAC;

B. I do very little praying, at least that I'd share publicly, BUT I pray every chance I get the Dems run Hillary or Obama or PLEASE DEAR GOD HEAR MY PRAYERS a Hillary/Obama ticket

That is all, back to the woodwork

Regards, Ted