PDA

View Full Version : Need movement repair on Marathon GSAR

Pilot
06-08-2011, 05:00
Hi all. I need some movement work done on my Marathon GSAR. The manual winding gear is worn, and the watch will not self wind. Any recommendations in the U.S. for a place to send it for repair? Thanks.

Jim C.
06-08-2011, 05:26
You don't state whether or not your watch is in warranty, but I'd suggest contacting Jim Madrid per the info in this thread (http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=102852). He should be either able to help you directly or point you in the right direction.

Pilot
06-08-2011, 08:35
You don't state whether or not your watch is in warranty, but I'd suggest contacting Jim Madrid per the info in this thread (http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=102852). He should be either able to help you directly or point you in the right direction.

I had Jim replace the crown and stem, as it had broken off in my hand while adjusting the time. I bought the watch used a few years ago, and it is a 2008 run, so I am assuming its out of warranty. I don't know what the factory warranty is, or if it is transferrable. Anybody?

Jim said he does not work on movements, so sent it back to me. He's great to deal with btw. He did not make a recommendation other than to take it to a watchmaker, so I am looking for suggestions. I live not to far from RGM in Lancaster, PA, where I am going to send a Sinn of mine, so maybe I'll jsut send the Marathon with it. I know RGM is pricey, so was looking for a less expensive alternative that specializes in Marathons.

Thanks.

RTFM
06-08-2011, 08:51
If you bought your GSAR used a few years ago then it's out of warranty. IIRC, Marathon's warranty period is 12 months on new wrist watches. I do not believe it is transferable.

While any competent watchmaker can work on the movement (i.e., ETA 2824-2), you may want to give International Watch Works (IWW) a call. IWW is in Cary, North Carolina and they do a suberb job on Marathons. When you call, ask for Jack, the owner. He'll give you an estimate of what the repair work will cost you and an idea of the turnaround time.

Here's their Website: International Watch Works (IWW) (http://internationalwatchworks.com/).

I had Jim replace the crown and stem, as it had broken off in my hand while adjusting the time. I bought the watch used a few years ago, and it is a 2008 run, so I am assuming its out of warranty. I don't know what the factory warranty is, or if it is transferrable. Anybody?

Jim said he does not work on movements, so sent it back to me. He's great to deal with btw. He did not make a recommendation other than to take it to a watchmaker, so I am looking for suggestions. I live not to far from RGM in Lancaster, PA, where I am going to send a Sinn of mine, so maybe I'll jsut send the Marathon with it. I know RGM is pricey, so was looking for a less expensive alternative that specializes in Marathons.

Thanks.

Pilot
06-08-2011, 09:00
Thanks RTFM. I will do that.

morellam
06-09-2011, 18:32
Contact Marathon directly. I did when my crown was stripped and they fixed it up no problem; even sent it back to me in Afghanistan.

If not in warranty, than Jack at IWW is a great place to start.